Graduate

Graduate
Western education 2013

Friday, July 12, 2013

...... busy day with help from my daughter....

...... who is now tall enough to reach up and hang laundry with me in the backyard.  Yes, despite the fact that my head shut off and is drifting in and out of a cloud, I still have to keep moving.  My niece is coming today and I am trying slowly to prepare for her arrival.  It has been a lifetime....

My nurse arrives and he sits with me on the back deck taking in the lovely cooler morning air.  He is here to check on my blood pressure.  The kidneys seem to be overexerted by the chemo but holding well.  We sit chatting while he puts the cuff on and takes the first of two readings.  His wife has just finished her journey and is still trying to recuperate.  Four years ago I knew no one with breast cancer..... now, I know far too many.

Lydia and I go shopping at the Super King next door to pick up some groceries and a few headscarves at the Urban Planet outlet across the aisle.  We pick one out for Melina because I want her to know that I am thinking of her.  I cannot sit with her because my own immune system is offline for a few days and I cannot take the risk.  We wrap the gift when we return home and then drive over to nest it between the doors.  I love you my friend and I am thinking of you each and every day.  Get better and kick this disease.

I consider myself to be blessed in so many ways and Wednesday night brought Mandi, Ken, Ava and Jet for a visit.  Mandi is near and dear to my heart.  She was the catalyst for seeking out help at Wellspring in my first journey.  She was brave enough to pick up stubborn me and drive me to their doorstep and take me around for a tour.  They are a cancer support free service in London with chapters in other major cities and provide services to those going through the journey and those who are their supporters.  I didn't want to go but she gave me no choice and so began my first journey which brought me in touch with so many wonderful people and new adventures.  I left Wellspring when I was getting better and on with my life but I always stayed in touch with the people I spent moments with.  When Ruth passed, I returned to help put together a memorial event where we sat around the Art room on a gloomy November day and talked about how she made our lives richer with her presence.  I still miss you Ruth wherever you are!!  It would be the beginning of a new life.  Mandi brought a wonderful dinner of pulled pork and salad..... kids sat together in the dinning room, the men under the gazebo out back and she and I nestled into comfy living room chairs playing catch-up.  I love you Mandi, bringer of joy and light into our lives!!  Mandi knows all too well what this journey has taken from her life.... at 17 she lost her mother.

Mark S. shows up on the doorstep about an hour into our visit and I am so excited to see him!!!!  A wonderful friend and past colleague whose path always crosses mine over the years.  He always calls me 'Chica' and I smile as we hug.  I lead him over to the 'man den' and he is joined minutes later by my 19 year old son and the rest of the motley crue.  They have beer.... enough said!!  Mandi and I continue our discussion in the living room and the kids have moved off to the pool where we can see them having a blast.  Life is good.... I am so happy in this moment that I do not want to let it go...

Hugs galore and promises to see more of each other, we lead our guests out to their cars... it has been a wonderful week filled with so many friends.  I am now looking forward to seeing my family together.

Tonight we are expecting Chelsea and her boyfriend Earl to arrive but alas, multiple delays brings them late to the house.... 11:30 pm and we chat until almost 2 am.  I am so tired but was smart enough to get some sleep in during the afternoon after Lydia and I made her some earrings.  I am in awe of the beautiful woman who walks towards me in the cool night air.  She is lovely, gentle and graceful.  We sit in the living room over cups of coffee and chat about the years trying to roll as many away as possible to get to the present.  William has arrived and will be staying the night.  He has looked forward to seeing her all day and now he sits grinning and chatting amicably while they discuss his new career...  one they are all too familiar with as they are both in the Armed Forces.  Lydia sits with us and joins into the conversation but is obviously too tired to continue so I urge her to go to bed with a promise to get her up when they are up and about. Earlier in the day, Mitchel texted me and let me know that he will be arriving  early Friday morning, just in time to meet his cousin... he was supposed to arrive Saturday morning.

Sarah Brown, who is best described as my 'daughter' and best friend came to chill with me in my bed earlier in the evening in anticipation of meeting Chelsea.  She laid beside me and we chatted about the anticipated birth of her second baby still three months away.  I like to rub her belly to see if baby will kick me but she has chosen to doze off and likely because we are talking quietly.  There is a moment in time when I am texting Chelsea to let her know that Sarah would love to meet her and I how much I love this woman who we first met when she was only 9 years old.  She has been such an integral part of my family and I of hers for the better part of 19 years and I love her so very much.  The tears catch me by surprise and I look over to her.... no words need to be said, we both just look into each other's eyes... unspoken and deep.  She says she will miss me but hopes I can see her children grow up.... no promises Sarah.... I will try my best.  You are such a light in my life and truly one of my own.  Life at this moment is magical, as if orchestrated from above.... all my children and my niece together under the same roof for the first time.... I will remember this moment.... I put my head on Sarah's belly and rub it for good luck.   She has to head out into the night without meeting Chelsea.  We hug and she is off to her home to get some much needed sleep.

Max picked up Mitchel and his girlfriend Sarah at the airport early this morning... they have arrived after a red-eye flight from Calgary.  After an hour of showing pictures, they have settled into the couch to sleep.... I am tired but think, heck, house is quiet, think I'll make a traditional family breakfast of leftovers to make breakfast hash - potatoes, onions, eggs, bacon all in the pan.... Life is good... oh yeah, reminds me that my foggy head couldn't remember where the garbage can was this morning.... I will clean up under the sink later....

I wish to dedicate this blog to my family and friends who are courageous enough to get to what is real and important in life....

No comments: